This congregation had its beginning with the beloved Chaplain, Rev. Robert
MacPherson and soldiers of the famous Fraser Highlanders of Wolfe's Army
With the Peace Treaty of 1763, and the coming of merchants from Scotland
and New England, the congregation soon assumed civilian status and was
known as the Scotch Congregation - in connection with the Church of Scotland.
In 1802, in response to a petition signed by 148 persons, the present
Church site was granted by His Majesty George III, although it was not
until 1809 that construction began.
The long-contemplated Church was dedicated on November 30th, 1810, on
St. Andrew's day, and appropriately named after the apostle. The building
remains virtually unchanged but for the addition of the Vestry in 1900.
On the same triangular site with the church are the Kirk Hall, first erected
in 1829 as a Protestant School which continued as a flourishing scholastic
institution for many years; and the magnificent Manse, erected in 1837,
which has been the residence of the ministers to the present time.
Things of interest to see in St. Andrew's
- Official reproductions of Flags of the Fraser Highlanders (78th Regiment).
- First Organ (Harmonium) used in Worship over 100 years ago.
- Historic plaques and period stained-glass windows.
- Original Marriage Certificate of the first marriage ever performed in
the church, in the handwriting of Rev. Alexander
- Communion Tokens; Keys; Books; Manuscript; etc.
- Spiral stairway leading to the Organ and Choir-loft; formerly the Governor's
2005- St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
Quebec City, Canada